Global Entry FAQs

Below we answer some of the most common questions about the Global Entry Trusted Traveler program:

Is criminal history a disqualifier for Global Entry?

Global Entry is a risk-based approach to facilitate the U.S. entry of pre-approved travelers. Applicants may not qualify for Global Entry participation if they:

Provide false or incomplete information on the application;

Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges, including outstanding warrants;

Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration, or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;

Are subjects of an investigation by any federal, state, or local law enforcement agency;

Are inadmissible to the U.S. under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation; or if they

Cannot satisfy CBP of their low-risk status or meet other program requirements.

Can I join Global Entry if I am not a U.S. citizen or U.S. lawful permanent resident?

Global Entry is also available to citizens of the Netherlands who are enrolled in Privium and Korean Smart Entry Service members. Citizens of Mexico may also apply for Global Entry. Canadian NEXUS members have Global Entry benefits, but are not eligible to join.

Spoiler Title

If the kiosk receipt has an "X" printed on it, you must report to a CBP officer at the nearest staffed CBP passport control booth. You do not have to get back in line. The CBP officer at the passport control booth will review your documents, determine the reason for the "X" and either release you from there or refer you to "secondary" for additional processing.

The "X" can mean many different things: random inspection; you have items to declare; you have agriculture products that need to be examined your fingerprints may not have matched, or other issues.

You must have the "X" cleared before proceeding to the exit control point or you will be directed back to passport control for processing. The kiosk receipt shows the CBP officer that you have successfully used the kiosk.

Spoiler Title

If the kiosk receipt has an "O" printed on it, you have declared something. You must collect your luggage and proceed to the exit point to meet with an officer to discuss the declaration.

Do Global Entry benefits allow head-of-the-line privilege at U.S. airports where Global Entry kiosks are not available?

The head of the line privilege is only available at U.S. airports that have Global Entry kiosks. The head-of-the-line privilege is reserved for program members if the kiosks are out of service, if a member gets referred to a CBP officer, and at the exit points.

As a U.S. lawful permanent resident, which document do I use at the Global Entry kiosk?

U.S. lawful permanent residents must use their I-551 permanent resident card at the Global Entry kiosk.

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global Entry kiosk?

Yes. You must declare all agricultural products that you bring into the U.S. Failure to declare agricultural products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties. For additional information, click here.

As a Global Entry member, am I required to use the Global Entry kiosk when entering the United States?

No. Global Entry members can choose not to use the kiosk and can be processed by CBP officers.

My travel companions (children, spouse or co-travelers) are not Global Entry members; can they come through the Global Entry kiosk with me?

No, only Global Entry members can use the Global Entry kiosk.

I am a U.S. citizen enrolled in Global Entry, what benefits do I have for expedited entry?

U.S. Citizens enrolled in Global Entry may use the Smartgate system when entering Australia without registration. 

Where do I find my Trusted Traveler membership number?

The membership number, also known as your PASS ID, is also on the back of Trusted Traveler cards.

I am a current Global Entry member. How do I update my passport information?

All Global Entry members can update their passport information through their account.
If the passport update involves a name change, you must visit a Global Entry enrollment center to update your information.

When can I renew my Global Entry membership?

You become eligible to renew your membership one year prior to program expiration.

Will I need to be interviewed again when I renew my program membership?

An interview for program membership renewal may not be necessary. Once you submit your renewal application and fee, check your account periodically for updates on what actions are necessary to complete the renewal process. You will receive an email when your membership status changes.

Who receives Global Entry cards?

Only U.S. Citizens, Legal Permanent Residents, and Mexican nationals are issued Global Entry cards. 

Must I obtain a Global Entry card?

No, it is not necessary to obtain a Global Entry card to continue using Global Entry at airport kiosks. A card is only required for expedited entry at the NEXUS lanes coming into the United States.

When will I receive my Global Entry card?

New enrollees will receive their Global Entry card 7-10 business days after approval for Global Entry.

How do I activate my Global Entry card?

Click here to activate your card within 30 days of receipt or you will be unable to use your card at the Trusted Traveler lanes. Follow the "Activate Membership Card" link and enter information from the back of your card.

How do I replace a lost, stolen or damaged Global Entry card?

You can request a replacement card by logging into your GOES account and selecting Manage Membership. Next select Request for Global Entry Card. A $25 fee is required for the replacement card. By requesting the replacement card, the original card will be deactivated and no longer functional.

Are all U.S. visa classifications eligible for participation in Global Entry?

If your country has a bilateral trusted traveler arrangement with CBP, you may participate in Global Entry provided you are not entering the U.S. under one of the following visa categories:

C-1 - Alien in Transit

C-2 - Alien in Transit to United Nations

C-3 - Foreign Government Official In transit

H-1C - Registered Nurse

H-2A - Agricultural worker

H-2B - Unskilled worker

H-2R - Returning H-2B

H-3 - Trainee

K-1 - Fiancé of U.S. Citizen

K-2 - Child of K-1

K-3 - Spouse of U.S. Citizen

K-4 - Child of K-3

M-1 - Vocational student

M-2 - Spouse/child of M-1

N-8 - Parent of SK-3

N-9 - Child of N-8, SK-1, SK-2, SK-4

S-5 - Witness/Informant

S-6 - Witness/Informant

S-7 - Family members of S-5, S-6

T-1 - Trafficking victim

T-2 - Spouse of T-1

T-3 - Child of T-1

T-4 - Parent of T-1

T-5 - Sibling of T-1

U-1 - Criminal Activity Victim

U-2 - Spouse of U-1

U-3 - Child of U-1

U-4 - Parent of U-1

U-5 - Sibling of U-1

Refund Policy

Did you change your mind about using our service? The quickest way to get a refund is to email We will process your refund within 24 business hours. There is no need to go via PayPal to get your refund - this will be a lot slower and can take up to several weeks if you make a chargeback.

Please note we refund in full for applications not submitted or processed.

Expedite Q Consultancy Services Ltd

Expedite Q Consultancy Ltd is not affiliated with any government body. We offer paid assistance with services offered by the government – you decide whether to use us or go to the government directly. You can find all government services at a lower cost on the official website. Our expertise is to explain the government jargon and simplify the application process

Service Benefits

  • Advice and guidance over which travel program is the right one for you
  • All questions answered by email within 24 hours
  • No crashing online forms
  • No perplexing government jargon
  • Interview preparation and assistance
  • Advice on documents required for applications and interviews
  • Assistance with application denials
  • Advice on criminal records and convictions
  • Advice on visa requirements
  • Recommendations and information on other worldwide fast track programs
© 2017 - 2022 Expedite Q Consultancy Ltd. All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive plugin by